Monday, June 29, 2009

Never Suppress a Generous Thought

It was Camilla Kimball who offered that sage advice: never suppress a generous thought. I try to remember that whenever I want to be helpful, but feel awkward offering. I have tried to teach my kids to be kind and thoughtful of others.

Andrew's best friend, Marcus, went on vacation for 3 wks at the beginning of the summer - they were a long 3 wks for Andrew. At one point, Andrew colored a "pretty picture for my best friend, Marcus" and wanted to give it to him. I told him that we could mail it and that it would be waiting for Marcus at his house when he returned. Andrew liked that idea. A few weeks later, we were talking about all he had learned in preschool and he said he wanted to "draw a pretty picture for my teacher, Miss Rebecca." It just so happened that I had an errand to run in that area, so we hand-delivered the picture. She wasn't there, so Andrew wrote her name on it and we discussed how excited she would be to come to work and get it. He has now made multiple pictures for various people in his life and he loves putting the stamp on the envelope and putting it out in the mail. We always discuss how excited the recipient will be and how they will feel so special to get a pretty picture in the mail.

So, the other day we were out working in the garden and Andrew and Rachael were entertaining themselves. I turned around and saw all the tennis balls were carefully placed throughout the yard. They seemed too precisely placed for it to be an accident, so I asked Andrew what they were.
He informed me that he was the mailman and he was busy delivering special packages to every house. He then pulled out his check-list and went through it to make sure that no one had been forgotten (it's a scrap of wood - sorry, the picture isn't very good) .What a sweet, caring boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment