Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Power of Prayer

Many years ago I read an article in the Ensign that has stuck with me. I would like to share it with anyone reading this.

A relatively young lady moved into a new ward with her husband and young child. She was quickly given her Visiting Teaching assignments. One of the ladies she was responsible for was an elderly woman. She went to her first appointment with some trepidation, not knowing what she could possibly teach this lady who had so much life experience under her belt. They quickly became friends and she was amazed at how active and busy this woman was always serving those around her. A couple years passed and suddenly this elderly woman had a stroke. She survived but it left her completely paralyzed. The young Visiting Teacher had no idea what to say to her, but she went to visit with a desire to do something helpful. She prepared herself to find the woman quite unhappy and depressed because she had previously been so active.

She showed up and the elderly woman was all smiles and just as happy as normal. The young VT was quite confused and finally had to ask how she could possibly be so happy. The wise woman responded, "Oh, I was always so busy with another batch of cookies to make or something, but now I have time to really help people. I can pray for them, and I know the Lord hears my prayers."

What a great lesson! If you know the Fogelquists, please pray for them. Their son Monte is really having a difficult time with all his health challenges and they need guidance and peace. My first instinct would be to make them a meal. However, they are many states away now. But, I can pray for them, and I, too, know the Lord hears my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment